Onion dips Rs200 per quintal

Onion dips Rs200 per quintal
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Fri, Sep 26 2008. 04 41 PM IST
Updated: Fri, Sep 26 2008. 04 41 PM IST
New Delhi: Onion prices have eased by about Rs200 per quintal from the start of this month in Maharashtra but its could rise significantly in November-December owing to short supply, experts and traders said.
According to Nashik-based National Horticultural Research and Development Foundation (NHRDF), onion prices in the mandis of Lasalgaon and Pimpalgaon in Maharashtra, the main growing belt, have come down to below Rs700 levels from about Rs870 a quintal on 1 September.
However, marketmen and experts feel that onion prices would rise sharply during November-December on account of short supply.
“Onion prices in November-December will go up, may even cross Rs1,000 a quintal in mandis, due to delay in arrival of Kharif crop in Maharashtra,” National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation vice-chairman C.B. Holkar said.
He said farmers have sold 60% of onions from the April harvest and are expected to bring in the remaining 40% by October-end. Beyond that period the quality of the edible bulbs would deteriorate.
Holkar said the arrival of kharif onions from Nashik would be delayed and would pick up in January. Maharashtra produces 300,000-400,00 tonnes of onions during Kharif.
Traders said the short supply from Maharshtra in November would definitely have an impact on onion prices even as supply from Rajasthan and Haryana would start coming into the market.
The arrival of Kharif harvest of onions pick up in November in Rajasthan and from mid-October in Karnataka.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Fri, Sep 26 2008. 04 41 PM IST
More Topics: Agriculture | Onion | Kharif | Nashik | Money Matters |