March quarter numbers show mild capex bounce
- Lodha Developers buy land in Mumbai’s Jogeshwari suburb from Patel Engineering
- BCCI, sports ministry discuss NADA, India-Pakistan match in ICC Test Championship
- To buy, or rent a home, that is the question
- Different ways to buy cryptocurrencies in India
- If total income is not taxable, senior citizens should keep bulk of their money in fixed deposits
Data on March-quarter corporate earnings compiled by the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, or CMIE, indicates a small rebound in capital expenditure from the bottom.
The net fixed assets created by the Indian corporate sector expanded in the last two six-monthly periods.
Capital work-in-progress (WIP) is also showing positive traction.
After contracting for nearly 24 months and hitting the abyss, the six months ended 31 March showed a 2.24% rise in WIP from the year-ago period.
Together, these two parameters are pointers of improving business confidence and capacity expansion by companies.
Nevertheless, the rebound has been from a low base, especially for WIP, and growth is still far from robust.