Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday

E-filing is cheap and convenient

E-filing is cheap and convenient
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Wed, Jun 02 2010. 09 50 PM IST

Updated: Wed, Jun 02 2010. 09 50 PM IST
Manisha: I have been in the US for the last two years. How can I file my returns?
Sharma: You can file your returns online on the usual return forms.
Greta: How can I get a digital signature certificate (DSC)?
Sharma: You can contact an authority certified by the certification authority to procure a DSC. You will need to fill some verification documents.
Vaibhav Gupta: Being a commission agent, is it mandatory for me to prepare complete books of accounts?
Sharma: Yes, it is mandatory to maintain books of accounts if the commission income is at least Rs60,000.
Greta: In how many days we receive the acknowledgement from the income-tax (I-T) department after posting ITR-V?
Sharma: Typically, it takes about a week.
Mohan: Is DSC necessary for e-fling?
Sharma: You can e-file your returns without a DSC and it is equally convenient. To procure a DSC, you need to submit attested documents, such as identity proof and application forms. At present, there is no other use of DSC other than signing your e-returns. So, there is limited utility of DSC at present.
Chika: Who do we approach and what do we do if the refund does not arrive?
Sharma: The refund process is automatic and should reach you within three months of e-filing. If it is an older refund, you may need to visit your nearest income-tax office.
Sara: Are e-tax website registered with the I-T department?
Sharma: Some sites are authorized e-return intermediaries. You need to check the site to ensure it is authorized by the I-T department.
Pooja: I have no tax liability as my income doesn’t cross the threshold. Is it ok if i don’t file returns? Is their any penalty?
Sharma: If your gross taxable income is below the exemption limit, you do not necessarily need to file. But it’s always recommended to file returns as you will need the document for things such as visa or loans.
Chika: What are the charges for e-filing? Is it cheaper?
Sharma: E-filing is always cheaper, if you take into account savings in terms of time, paper and money. Different websites have different charges in the range of Rs100-500.
Manipa: I worked in two organizations, do I need Form 16 from both the employers?
Sharma: Yes, you would need Form 16 from both the employers to file your return.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Wed, Jun 02 2010. 09 50 PM IST
More Topics: E Filing | ITR | Income Tax Return | Form 16 | DSC |