Slack in credit growth
- Ravi Shankar Prasad says he ‘denied permission’ to Facebook’s Free Basics
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ posts strong early start at box office
- UIDAI suspends Airtel, Airtel Payments Bank’s eKYC licence
- Mizoram to soon become gateway to South East Asian countries: Narendra Modi
- PM Modi announces Rs90,000 crore for improving roads, highways in northeast
Credit growth slowed to 8.7% for the fortnight ended 10 June from 9.8% in the year-ago period.
One reason is a 17% year-on-year fall in food credit which makes up about 1.3% of total bank credit.
But these numbers also show that despite rosy economic growth numbers of the last quarter, bank credit, especially to industry, has failed to pick up because of low investment demand, few new projects, and banks’ reluctance to lend as they clean up their balance sheets.
The chart shows year-on-year credit growth in June for the last 20 years.