×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

Sebi wants MFs to ensure quality of debt papers

Sebi wants MFs to ensure quality of debt papers
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Mon, Nov 22 2010. 04 27 PM IST
Updated: Mon, Nov 22 2010. 04 27 PM IST
New Delhi: Concerned over the quality of papers that mutual funds (MFs) are investing in, market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has asked some of the MFs to refile their offer documents for capital protection scheme.
In a capital protection scheme, fund houses usually invest a hefty chunk (say 80%) of investor money in debt papers, while parking the remaining 20% with equities.
Sebi has asked the concerned MFs to disclose in the offer documents how they would protect the investors money in these schemes, sources said, but refused to identify these fund houses.
Future offers would also have to abide by this Sebi directive, the sources said.
Sources said the market regulator wants the fund houses to invest in debt papers which have got high grades from rating agencies.
This is to maximize returns of the fund from fixed-income instruments.
Equity investment is done by MFs to increase the capital base of the fund.
Sebi wanted to ensure that the capital of the investor is protected and that the fund house does not give negative returns.
“Sebi wanted to introduce a stringent capital guarantee provision for such schemes of MFs. They want to ensure that even if the fund house is not able to give positive returns, the money invested should be back,” Value Research CEO Dhirendra Kumar said.
Currently new fund offers of two fund houses -- JP Morgan Asset Management and Sundaram -- are open for subscription.
Investors to these schemes seek returns and minimize risk of capital loss by investing in a portfolio of fixed income securities.
Diversification of portfolios between fixed income and equities spreads risk across various asset classes and if an investor stays invested for longer term the risk arising out of volatility in the market is reduced, said a fund manager at a mutual fund.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Mon, Nov 22 2010. 04 27 PM IST