Mobile wallet transactions to touch Rs32 trillion by 2022: report
- Vladimir Putin to speak to Donald Trump on Syria after surprise Bashar al-Assad visit
- Reliance Communications shares jump over 14% on real estate assets sale buzz
- Yes Bank raises $400 million loans from Japan, Taiwan
- Reliance Industries raises $800 million via 10-yr bonds at lowest rate
- Maria Sharapova named in India luxury housing fraud probe
Mumbai: The mobile wallet industry is expected to maintain the pace of its current expansion with transaction volume expected to touch 32 billion by 2022 and the value of the same will be Rs32 trillion, said a report.
Value of the transactions is also expected to reach Rs32 trillion by 2021, growing at a rate of 126%, said the report by consultancy Deloitte. The volume growth is likely to be at a compounded rate of 94%, it added.
As the penetration of mobile Internet and smartphones aggregate, mobile wallets, with their ease of use and convenience, are expected to continue growing in popularity, the report said. The report, however, noted that some challenges maybe posed along the way.
There could be an inertia in adoption as cash transactions have been the norm for a long time. Also, credit cards form one of the biggest challenges in adoption of wallets, it said. Further, the report said security breaches and frauds leading to financial losses are big factors in adoption of digital payment technologies.
“Therefore, ensuring security of the technology systems is the key.” Introduction of UPI has created greater competition going forward. Also, industry players have begun moving beyond their core service and delivering collateral services.