Stagnation in computer services exports
- Delhi HC reserves order on PSC extension between Cairn India and ONGC for Barmer block
- Hike’s Total app: Everything you need to know
- Star India is not chasing profits from the upcoming IPL season
- Hyderabad University bars media entry on Rohith Vemula’s death anniversary
- HP launches 3D printers in India for Rs2.5 crore
The chart shows how foreign exchange inflows from information technology (IT) services have tapered off sharply. While year-on-year growth in the June quarter is positive, at 1.06% it is nothing to write home about.
The sector has been a very big source of employment and its stagnation spells bad news for employment, especially among educated youth.
Needless to add, services and real estate catering to this sector have also been affected.
Incidentally, the balance of payments data show that while gross inflows in the June 2017 quarter are higher than a year ago, net inflows are not.
That is because there has been a rise in foreign exchange outflows on account of computer services.