Closing bell: Sensex, Nifty close flat, PSU bank, telecom stocks fall
BSE Sensex closed unchanged at 33,812.26, down 0.49 points, while the Nifty 50 ended at 10,442.20, up 6.65 points. Here are the highlights from markets today
Last Modified: Tue, Jan 02 2018. 04 02 PM IST
- 3.33 pm ISTClosing bell
- 3.04 pm ISTTata Power Renewable Energy commissions solar plant in Karnataka
- 3 pm ISTRupee trades flat against US dollar
- 2.03 pm ISTMarket update
- 2 pm ISTL&T unit gets orders worth Rs1454
- 1.55 pm ISTPSU bank stocks trade lower
- 1.53 pm ISTPrincipal Financial Group to buy all stake in JV with PNB
- 12.33 pm ISTMarket update
- 12.30 pm ISTNACL Industries shares surge 9% on fund rasing plan
- 12.28 pm ISTIdea Cellular shares fall 3%
- 11.43 am ISTRamco Systems shares surge 5% on new contract
- 11.40 am ISTTata Motors shares rise on December sales data
- 11.38 am ISTFactory PMI expands at fastest pace in 5 years in December
- 11.35 am ISTAcrysil shares gain on stake purchase
- 10.55 am ISTAnil Ambani group stocks trade lower
- 10.53 am ISTLovable Lingerie shares rise on buyback plan
- 10.50 am ISTPrestige Estate shares gain 2% on stake purchase
- 10.48 am ISTThermax shares gain on new order
- 10.25 am ISTMarket update
- 10.20 am ISTEicher Motors shares fall 2%
- 10.18 am ISTTVS Motor shares gain over 3% on sales data
- 10.15 am ISTBajaj Auto shares rise on December sales data
- 9.38 am ISTSalil Parekh to take over as Infosys CEO today
- 9.35 am ISTAnil Ambani group stocks trade higher
- 9.33 am ISTONGC shares gain on rising oil prices
- 9.30 am ISTRupee opens marginally higher against US dollar
- 9.30 am ISTMarket open
- Mumbai: BSE Sensex and NSE Nifty closed little changed on Tuesday as caution prevailed ahead of corporate results amid soaring global crude prices and a subdued trend in European markets, PTI reported. After a higher opening at 33,913.55, the Sensex advanced to hit the day’s high of 33,964.14. But profit-booking towards the middle of the session erased gains completely dragging the index to a low of 33,703.37. The 30-share barometer closed at 33,812.26, down by just 0.49 points. The gauge had lost 244.08 points in the first trading session of 2017 on Monday. The NSE Nifty, however, ended a shade higher by 6.65 points at 10,442.20 after moving between 10,495.20 and 10,404.65. The upcoming corporate result season, beginning later this week and the approaching Union Budget kept investors on their toes, who indulged in selling activity, brokers said.
- 3.33 pm IST Closing bellBSE Sensex closed unchanged at 33,812.26, down 0.49 point, while the Nifty 50 ended at 10,442.20, up 6.65 points, or 0.06%.
- 1.53 pm IST Principal Financial Group to buy all stake in JV with PNBPrincipal Financial Group has signed a shares purchase agreement with Punjab National Bank to take full ownership of the Principal-PNB asset management company and Principal Trustee Co. Pvt. Ltd in India. PNB shares were down 1.94% at Rs166.45. (Reuters)
- 12.28 pm IST Idea Cellular shares fall 3%Shares of Idea Cellular Ltd fell as much as 3% to Rs101.45. The company said on Monday that it would consider raising funds via preferential allotment, qualified institutional placement or rights issue. Analysts say there are concerns that the value of shares held by existing shareholders would be diluted due to fund raising. (Reuters)
- 11.40 am IST Tata Motors shares rise on December sales dataTata Motors Ltd said that its domestic commercial vehicle and passenger vehicle sales rose 52% to 54,627 units in December. Domestic commercial vehicle sales increased 62% to 40,447 units. Domestic passenger vehicle sales were up 31% to 14,180 units. Export sales at 6,044 vehicles, up 26%. Shares rose 1.46% to Rs431.60.
- 11.38 am IST Factory PMI expands at fastest pace in 5 years in DecemberIndia’s factory activity expanded at the fastest pace in five years in December, buoyed by a rise in output and new orders, which allowed firms to raise prices.
Factory PMI expands at fastest pace in 5 years in December https://t.co/YALdPcfrOC— Livemint (@livemint) January 2, 2018
- 9.30 am IST Rupee opens marginally higher against US dollarThe Indian rupee on Tuesday was trading marginally higher against US dollar in opening trade, tracking gains in the Asian currencies. The rupee was trading at 63.67 a dollar, up 0.01% from its Monday’s close of 63.68. In the year 2017, the rupee gained 6.35% and Sensex rose 28%, while foreign institutional investors have bought $7.73 billion and $23.27 billion in equity and debt, respectively.The government will auction a new 10-year government security as part of its weekly auction, RBI notified on Monday. The 10-year bond yield was at 7.364% compared to its previous close of 7.337%.