Market Wrap: Sensex closes at record high, Nifty at 10623, pharma, IT stocks rise
BSE Sensex closed higher by 198.94 points at 34,352.79, while the Nifty 50 rose 64.75 points to close at 10,623.60. Here are the latest updates from the markets
Last Modified: Mon, Jan 08 2018. 04 54 PM IST
- 3.34 pm ISTClosing bell
- 3.15 pm ISTOrchid Pharma receives EIR from USFDA
- 3.13 pm ISTVakrangee ties up with Netmeds Marketplace
- 2.30 pm ISTMarket update
- 2.27 pm ISTEmami Infrastructure shares jump 17%
- 2.25 pm ISTEssar Ports completes investment in Salaya, Vizag terminal projects
- 2.23 pm ISTPrakash Industries shares rise on December quarter earnings
- 2.15 pm ISTRupee trades flat against US dollar
- 12.55 pm ISTMarket update
- 12.52 pm ISTSBI plans to raise $2 billion
- 12.48 pm ISTL&T bags Rs2,265 crore order
- 12.45 pm ISTSatin Creditcare shares jump 18% on new investment
- 11.25 am ISTMarket update
- 11.23 am ISTPharma stocks trade higher
- 11.20 am ISTGDP forecast, Q3 earnings to affect markets this week
- 11.17 am ISTHindustan Construction shares rise on new order
- 10.20 am ISTJindal Steel shares rise 13% on fund raising plan
- 10.18 am ISTSagar Cements shares rise on December sales data
- 10.15 am ISTSobha shares gain 9%
- 9.42 am ISTMarket update
- 9.40 am ISTTelecom companies’ shares trade lower
- 9.38 am ISTJaypee Infratech shares gain 8%
- 9.35 am ISTSun Pharma shares rise 2%
- 9.32 am ISTRupee strengthens further against US dollar
- 9.30 am ISTMarket update
- Mumbai: Benchmark indices rose to fresh life-time closing highs on optimism over earnings, growth and budget. BSE Sensex hit a new intra-day record high of 34,385.67, before settling at a new closing peak of 34,352.79, up 198.94 points, or 0.58%. In last two days, the index has gained 360.47 points. Similarly, the NSE Nifty 50 touched a new intra-day high of 10,631.20 before ending a new closing high of 10,623.60, up by 64.75 points or 0.61%. The broader NSE Nifty for the first time closed above 10,600 mark. Gains in key IT, capital goods, healthcare and metal stocks helped both the key indices to scale new peaks. Traders said sentiment remained upbeat on continuous foreign fund inflows and unbated buying by investors amid expectations of encouraging quarterly earnings and hopes of growth-oriented budget next month. Foreign portfolio investors bought shares to the tune of Rs581.43 crore, while domestic institutional investors purchased shares worth a net Rs243.13 crore last Friday, as per provisional data from the stock exchanges. (PTI)
- 3.34 pm IST Closing bellBSE Sensex closed higher by 198.94 points, or 0.58%, to 34,352.79, while the Nifty 50 rose 64.75 points, or 0.61%, to close at 10,623.60.
- 2.25 pm IST Essar Ports completes investment in Salaya, Vizag terminal projectsEssar Ports Ltd said that it has completed an investment of its investment of over Rs2,800 crore in its Salaya and Vizag terminal projects. The new investment could increase the company’s revenues by 30% in FY2018-19 on the back of third-party cargo growth. (Reuters)
- 2.23 pm IST Prakash Industries shares rise on December quarter earningsPrakash Industries Ltd reported a profit of Rs101 crore in the December 2016 quarter, compared to Rs18.11 crore a year ago. The company’s December quarter revenue rose toRs726 crore versus Rs521 crore in the same period last month. Shares rose 6.60% to Rs218.
- 2.15 pm IST Rupee trades flat against US dollarThe Indian rupee erased all the morning gains and was trading little changed against the US dollar on Monday. At 2pm, the home currency was trading at 63.39 a dollar, up 0.01% from its Friday’s close of 63.37. Earlier in the morning, the rupee opened at 63.32 a dollar and hit a high of 63.29, a level last seen on 29 April 2015.
- 12.48 pm IST L&T bags Rs2,265 crore orderLarsen and Toubro Ltd said the transportation infrastructure and water and effluent treatment businesses of L&T Construction received three EPC orders worth Rs2,265 crore from Andhra Pradesh Capital Region Development Authority. Shares traded 0.99% up at Rs1,327.45.
- 11.20 am IST GDP forecast, Q3 earnings to affect markets this weekIndustrial production data for November and inflation data based on consumer price index (CPI) for December will be released this week
GDP forecast, Q3 earnings to affect markets this week https://t.co/nkHxGbqMk1— Livemint (@livemint) January 8, 2018
- 9.40 am IST Telecom companies’ shares trade lowerTelecom companies were trading lower after Reliance Jio on Friday cut tariffs by Rs50 of all its monthly schemes under which customers are getting 1GB data per day and also enhanced data limit to 1.5GB from the existing 1GB for select plans. Bharati Airtel Ltd fell 3.1%, Idea Cellular Ltd declined 3.6% and Reliance Communications Ltd 1%.
- 9.32 am IST Rupee strengthens further against US dollarThe Indian rupee on Monday strengthened further to hit a fresh 32-month high against US dollar, tracking gains in the local equity markets. The rupee opened at 63.32 a dollar and hit a high of 63.29, a level last seen on 29 April 2015. The home currency was trading at 63.29 a dollar, up 0.14% from its Friday’s close of 63.37.