×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

ONGC FPO deferred till second half of 2011

ONGC FPO deferred till second half of 2011
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Mar 10 2011. 03 36 PM IST
Updated: Thu, Mar 10 2011. 03 36 PM IST
New Delhi: The government has deferred the share sale of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) to the second half of 2011 following a faux pas in appointment of independent directors on the company board.
The government plans to sell 5%, or 427.77 million equity shares, through the follow-on public offer (FPO) to raise up to Rs12,000 crore.
“The share sale was to open on April 5, but has now been deferred. It is now likely in the second quarter of 2011-12,” an official with direct knowledge of the matter said.
ONGC does not meet market regulator Sebi’s listing norm of having an equal number of functional and independent directors and the government had planned to withdraw both its nominee directors on the board to push the FPO through.
But the move would have led to ONGC losing its coveted navaratna status that gives the company board autonomy to approve an investment of any size on projects and powers to invest up to Rs1,000 crore in a joint venture company.
According to the norms, a navaratna board can exercise its limitless powers only when it has government-nominated directors on board. Upon withdrawal of such directors, ONGC will have to seek nod of the Public Investment Board (PIB) for any spending of over Rs100 crore, the official said.
“The consequences of withdrawing government directors were too grave and so the it has been decided to make regular appointment of independent directors and till such time, the FPO will be deferred,” he said.
A search committee will be appointed and suitable persons appointed by the cabinet committee on appointment (ACC), he said adding the process may take 2-3 months.
ONGC has six functional directors, besides the chairman. It also has two government-appointed nominee directors, taking the total strength of functional/promoter directors to nine. Against this, it currently has four independent directors and needs five more to meet the Sebi’s listing norm.
Sources said that last year, the ministry -- under the then minister Murli Deora -- had selected five persons, including a chartered accountant, an IIT-Mumbai professor and the CEO of private sector lender for nomination to ONGC board.
But before the names could go to the ACC, S Jaipal Reddy replaced Deora. Reddy only sent the names of the IIT professional and HDFC managing director Renu Sud Karnad to ACC for approval.
His logic was that since ONGC did not have a permanent chairman after the retirement of R. S. Sharma and the vacancies of director (human resources) and director (exploration) were unfilled, the effective board strength was down to six and only two independent directors were needed to meet Sebi norm.
But before the ACC could approve, S. V. Rao was appointed director (exploration), taking the effective board strength to seven.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Mar 10 2011. 03 36 PM IST
More Topics: ONGC | FPO | Share Sale | Sebi | Money Matters |