Where India stands among Asian economies in manufacturing growth
- Breakthrough drug found to treat Huntington’s disease: report
- Sebi to probe data leaks via social media, says chairman Ajay Tyagi
- Cyclone Ockhi: Fisherfolk protest govt inaction
- In Gujarat, a recurring question: where have the jobs gone?
- SC expresses displeasure over NCLT order suspending Unitech directors
Chart 1 shows that India stands in the middle of the Asian pack in the manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) league tables for May. Note that China’s reading is below 50, which means the manufacturing sector has contracted from the previous month. Several other Asian economies also show a contraction in manufacturing.
Chart 2 shows that the Nikkei India Manufacturing PMI is at a three-month low and so is the New Orders Index. That suggests a recovery from the demonetization-induced slump in manufacturing is taking time and is unlikely to be V-shaped.