Capital goods production lower than five years ago?
- Padmaavat release: Rajasthan minister says Raje govt to approach Supreme Court
- 20 AAP MLAs have sought time to meet President Kovind: Manish Sisodia
- Donald Trump marks year one with US government shutdown drama
- Bawana factory fire: 17 feared dead, Delhi govt orders inquiry
- IMF, World Bank laud RBI for ‘strengthening’ supervision
The Index of Industrial Production’s capital goods index is an extremely volatile index. It is also well known that Indian industry suffers from plenty of spare capacity. Nevertheless, is it really true, as the chart shows, that the capital goods index in June 2016 is below the level it was in July 2011, or nearly five years ago? If true, the state of investment demand is dire indeed.