Capital goods production lower than five years ago?
- A year of hits and misses for Indian hockey
- India’s current account deficit widens to 1.2% of GDP in July-September
- Narendra Modi calls bad loans to banks by UPA regime a big scam
- Pawan Hans: Employees’ union evince interest in disinvestment
- Indian inflation spike hits bonds, spurs rate policy and fiscal worries
The Index of Industrial Production’s capital goods index is an extremely volatile index. It is also well known that Indian industry suffers from plenty of spare capacity. Nevertheless, is it really true, as the chart shows, that the capital goods index in June 2016 is below the level it was in July 2011, or nearly five years ago? If true, the state of investment demand is dire indeed.