Capital goods production lower than five years ago?
- Donald Trump pressures US senators to back Republican healthcare bill
- India to send 700 tonnes of relief material for Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- Sushma Swaraj slams Pakistan at UNGA, asks its leaders to introspect
- Mexico jittery after new earthquake of 6.1 magnitude
- Sushma Swaraj calls for early start of negotiations for UNSC reforms
The Index of Industrial Production’s capital goods index is an extremely volatile index. It is also well known that Indian industry suffers from plenty of spare capacity. Nevertheless, is it really true, as the chart shows, that the capital goods index in June 2016 is below the level it was in July 2011, or nearly five years ago? If true, the state of investment demand is dire indeed.