Sharad Pawar: India’s politician for all seasons
As Maratha strongman Sharad Pawar calls time on his long and eventful political career spanning over five decades, a look at the kingmaker’s life in politics.
- 13 January 2010: Sharad Pawar addresses the media in New Delhi. Born in Pune, Pawar who has announced he will quit political life in 2014, leads the NCP in the Lok Sabha, representing his constituency of Madha in Maharashtra. HT
- 8 February 2012: Sharad Pawar with Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi. Pawar entered the Maharashtra legislative assembly for the first time in 1967 from Baramati, representing the undivided Congress party. HT
- 30 June 2009: Sonia Gandhi and Sharad Pawar in Mumbai. The Maratha strongman has shared a close relationship with the Gandhi family even though he broke away from the Congress in 1978 following the Emergency. HT
- 06 March 2008: Pawar chats with M S Dhoni in New Delhi. Pawar has also served as the Chairman of the Board of Control for Cricket in India from 2005 to 2008 going on to become the International Cricket Council president in 2010. HT
- 16 July 2009: Sharad Pawar with BJP leader Rajnath Singh. One of his great strengths ever since he began his political career in 1956 has been his ability to balance relationships with a vast spectrum of political leaders. HT