Photo Essay | Up in the air
Higher wages and surety of work have workers taking on the mantle of ‘desi’ Spider-Men
- Mohamed Shamshad is a bricklayer who works right on the edge of the buildings under construction, without any harness. Photographs by Pradeep Gaur/Mint
- Rajesh is a window cleaner working on a high-rise in Gurgaon. Because of the high demand, window-cleaning is a relatively profitable job option, with proper safety measures in place.
- Sanjay paints a hoarding frame on Sohna Road, Gurgaon, without any harness to keep him from falling, for a mere Rs 300 a day
- Sandblasting is used to clean the metal surfaces and prevent rust formation. Gulab Kumar is squatting on a handmade bamboo platform, suspended under the iron bridge over the Yamuna, Delhi, as he works
- With seven years’ experience, painter Faishal glides across the side of the Nizamuddin flyover, Delhi, with a brush in hand
- A window cleaner in Delhi takes a break, relaxing in his harness and letting his hands and feet hang completely free.