Slideshow | India protests over land and water
The entire country is in the grip of protests. Issues ranging from nuclear power to vulgarity in movies; from Jal Satyagraha to dharnas against meat consumption are forcing people on to the streets. Is this a sign of India becoming thin-skinned?
- The entire country is in the grip of protests. Issues ranging from nuclear power to vulgarity in movies; from Jal Satyagraha to dharnas against meat consumption are forcing people on to the streets. Is this a sign of India becoming thin-skinned?
- Anti-nuclear power activists hold a protest against the nuclear power project in Kudankulam, Tamil Nadu. Nearly 4,000 people camped on the beach near the power station to protest the threat of radiation. Reuters
- Jal Satyagraha agitation in Madhya Pradesh. Protestors demanded compensation and rehabilitation for villagers whose homes will be submerged due to the rise in the level of Narmada once the gates of the Omkareshwar dam are opened. AP
- In Bhubaneswar, women activists of the Communist Party of India take out a protest rally against the Coal scam. PTI
- Exiled Tibetans participate in a prostration march in support of three exiled Tibetans on a hunger strike in Delhi. Their demands include pressing China to grant immediate access for travel in Tibet. AP
- Police detain Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi activists, part of a rail roko agitation in Coimbatore. The activists were protesting against the training of two Sri Lankan defence personnel in Wellington, Tamil Nadu. PTI
- Greenpeace activists dressed as wild animals hold placards during a protest against the allocation of forest land for coal mining in New Delhi. AP
- Kolkata Municipal Corporation lawmakers sit inside a mosquito net in front of the Mayor’s office in protest against inadequate measures to prevent the spread of dengue and malaria in Kolkata. AP
- A tableau is taken out during a rally by Communist Party of India-Marxist cadre in Kolkata to protest against alleged worldwide US imperialism and increasing involvement of the US in Indian matters. AP
- A member of the Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) at a demonstration in Srinagar held to press India and Pakistan to involve Kashmiri separatist leaders in peace talks and resolve the Kashmir issue on a priority basis. Reuters
- In Amritsar, farmers block the Amritsar-Delhi rail traffic in protest against imposition of new taxes. PTI
- Activists of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) set up a mock dog-meat shop in Hyderabad to protest the consumption of meat. (AP)
- Protesters wear Anna Hazare masks as they rally against corruption in New Delhi.
- India Against Corruption activists protest the arrest of cartoonist Aseem Trivedi in Mumbai. PTI