The buck stops here
How to make Russian blini with Indian ‘kuttu’ or simply, a healthy pancake
- Sift the flours and salt into a large bowl. Photographs by Priyanka Parashar/Mint
- Then take two egg yolks.
- Mix the flours and egg yolk.
- Stir in the yeast, then whisk in the milk until you have a smooth, thin batter.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold into the buckwheat batter—be careful not to knock the air out of the egg whites.
- Melt a little butter on a non-stick frying pan. Put tablespoons of the puffed-up buckwheat batter into the pan, then fry.
- The blini will rise slightly on contact with the heat—then flip over and fry until both sides are lightly browned.
- Top with sour cream, smoked salmon and a little dill.