×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

2G Scam | CBI likely to file second charge sheet on Monday

2G Scam | CBI likely to file second charge sheet on Monday
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Sun, Apr 24 2011. 05 49 PM IST
Updated: Sun, Apr 24 2011. 05 49 PM IST
New Delhi: The CBI is likely to file tomorrow its second charge sheet in the 2G spectrum allocation scam in which some new names of corporate honchos and politicians may figure as accused.
The charge sheet to be filed in the court of Special CBI Judge O P Saini is eagerly awaited as all eyes will be on whether Kanimozhi, DMK chief M Karunanidhi’s daughter and MP, figures in the list of accused after the investigation into the case disclosed that money had travelled from DB Realty to Kalaignar TV.
Kanimozhi, Dayaluammal — Karunanidhi’s wife — and Sharad Kumar, managing director of Kalaignar TV, have 20, 60 and 20% shares in the channel respectively.
The CBI had earlier told the court that Rs 200 crore connected with the 2G spectrum scam had travelled from a partnership firm of Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Usman Balwa to Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd.
The agency had said the money travelled through a “circuitous route” through Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd, a DB group company and Cineyug Films Pvt Ltd.
“Investigations have also revealed that in furtherance of the conspiracy, Dynamix Realty, a partnership firm of DB Realty Ltd and other DB group companies, paid Rs 200 crore to Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd during December 2008 to August 2009, following a circuitous route through Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd and Cineyug Films Pvt Ltd (DB group holds 49% equity in it),” CBI said in its first charge sheet filed on 2 April.
Besides, the charge sheet may also throw some light on the role of former telecom minister A Raja’s close aide Sadiq Batcha, director of the Green House Promoters Pvt Ltd, who died in mysterious circumstances last month.
Names of Asif Balwa, cousin of Shahid Balwa, and Rajeev Agarwal, directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd, who are presently in judicial custody, are also expected in the supplementary charge sheet.
The CBI, in its first charge sheet, had said that Raja conspired with top bureaucrats, including a retired IAS officer, and corporate honchos to cause a loss of Rs 30,984 crore in the allocation of 2G spectrum.
Besides Raja, the agency had named eight others and three telecom companies.
The agency had alleged that former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, Raja’s personal secretary R K Chandolia and Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Usman Balwa and Sanjay Chandra, MD of Unitech wireless, entered into a conspiracy for manipulating the procedure for allocation of spectrum with the aim of favouring companies like Swan Telecom and Unitech.
Others named in the charge sheet include Vinod Goenka, a Director of Mumbai-based DB Realty, which was also the promoter of Etisalat DB, Sanjay Chandra, managing director of Gurgaon-based real estate company Unitech and Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Pvt Ltd and Gautam Doshi, Hari Nair and Surendra Pipara, Group managing director and two Senior Vice Presidents of Mumbai-based Reliance ADAG.
The CBI had charged Raja with cheating, forgery and abuse of official position under the provisions of Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act.
All the nine accused, named in the first charge sheet, are presently in Tihar Jail under judicial custody.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Sun, Apr 24 2011. 05 49 PM IST
More Topics: 2G Scam | 2G News | 2G Case | A Raja | Kanimozhi |