Beijing: North Korea told delegates at nuclear talks on 17 March that it is preparing to shut down its main reactor, South Korea’s chief nuclear envoy said, a key step promised in a landmark disarmament pact.
The apparent progress in implementing last month’s agreement came only hours after North Korea’s lead nuclear envoy said his government would not close its main nuclear facility until all US$25 million (euro19 million) of its money frozen in a Macau bank, Banco Delta Asia, is released.
“We will not stop our nuclear activity until our funds frozen in the BDA are fully released,” Kim Kye Gwan told reporters as he arrived in Beijing for follow-up meetings on the agreement.
But US Assistant Secretary of States Christopher Hill, the top American envoy, said late Saturday that North Korea was still “fulfilling their obligations”.
The fate of the frozen funds, the result of a blacklisting by US authorities, has become a central issue in the talks. Washington promised to resolve the bank issue as an inducement to North Korea to return to the negotiations, but its solution, an order this past week to US banks to sever ties with the Macau bank, has been criticized by China and left North Korea sending mixed signals.
At one follow-up meeting, another North Korean diplomat, Kim Song Gi, said North Korea has “begun preparations to shut down its Yongbyon nuclear facility”, South Korean envoy Chun Yung-woo told reporters afterward.
Kim promised that North Korea will submit a list of its nuclear programmes and disable its nuclear facility “as soon as the right conditions are created”, Chun said, without explaining what the conditions were.
Under the 13 February agreement, which involves the two Koreas, the US, China, Japan and Russia, North Korea is to shutter the Yongbyon reactor and a plutonium processing plant and allow UN monitors to verify the shutdown within 60 days. In return, North Korea is to receive energy and economic assistance.
Washington, in a side agreement, promised to resolve the Banco Delta Asia funds, which US authorities alleged may have resulted from counterfeiting or money laundering.
“We are on schedule for this first phase,” Hill told reporters after daylong meetings with delegates from the other five countries.
Also Saturday, a senior US Treasury Department official traveled to Macau to discuss the results of the investigation with officials there. It will be up to the government of Macau, a semi-autonomous Chinese territory, whether to release any of the funds, which have been frozen since 2005.
The Treasury Department is expected to help Macau’s regulators identify accounts connected to North Korea that are not tainted by links to alleged nuclear proliferation or counterfeiting, smuggling and other crimes.
US Deputy Assistant Treasury Secretary Daniel Glaser said the talks with Macau officials had been “cordial and productive”.
“I think it is important to emphasize this was a Macanese action to freeze the funds, and it would be a Macanese process to determine” whether to release them, he told reporters.
As part of the disarmament meetings in Beijing, Hill said he would push North Korea to disclose all its nuclear programmes, including an alleged uranium enrichment programme.
US allegations that North Korea has a secret uranium enrichment programme brought on a nuclear crisis in 2002 that led the country to expel UN inspectors and eventually led to North Korea exploding its first nuclear device in October.
North Korea has never publicly acknowledged that it has a uranium program, although Kim Kye Gwan indicated the North was willing to discuss the issue with Washington.
“We are willing to cooperate with the US to address the allegations,” Kim said. “We will clarify this when (the US) presents the evidence.”
Washington will also discuss benchmarks for North Korea to meet in dismantling its nuclear programs and for phased in deliveries of heavy fuel oil as those goals are met, Hill said.