Navtej Sarna takes charge as US ambassador
- Inside SoftBank’s India investment strategy
- Govt unveils new PPP policy as part of push for affordable housing
- NBFC Shiksha Finance raises funds from Dell Foundation
- Indiabulls Ventures planning QIP or rights issue to raise up to Rs3,000 crore
- Jiggs Kalra’s Massive Restaurants in talks with Gaja Capital to raise Rs80-100 crore
Washington: India’s new ambassador to the US Navtej Sarna, who arrived in the city a few days before the general elections, has kicked off his engagements with a meeting with powerful Democratic senator Jack Reed. “Enjoyed meeting with Ambassador Navtej Sarna to discuss the strong relationship between US and India,” Reed, Ranking Member of the powerful Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a tweet after meeting the top Indian diplomat at the Capitol Hill yesterday.
A 1980 batch foreign service official, Sarna also met Ami Bera, the only Indian-American in the current Congress, who is also co-chair of the powerful House India Caucus. Sarna presented his credentials to Peter Selfridge, chief of protocol, State Department on 9 November. He is expected to present his formal diplomatic credentials to outgoing US President Barack Obama later. Spokesman of the ministry of external affairs until 2008, Sarna has previously been India’s ambassador to Israel and the Indian High Commissioner to the UK.