Navtej Sarna takes charge as US ambassador
- Narendra Modi government sabotaging winter session of Parliament: Sonia Gandhi
- Egg prices up 40% on tight supply
- Gujarat elections LIVE: BJP releases 3rd list of 28 candidates, NCP, Congress talks fail
- Siddharth Parekh’s Paragon Partners raises $120 million for its first PE fund
- Fans will drive the media business: Sudhanshu Vats of Viacom18
Washington: India’s new ambassador to the US Navtej Sarna, who arrived in the city a few days before the general elections, has kicked off his engagements with a meeting with powerful Democratic senator Jack Reed. “Enjoyed meeting with Ambassador Navtej Sarna to discuss the strong relationship between US and India,” Reed, Ranking Member of the powerful Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a tweet after meeting the top Indian diplomat at the Capitol Hill yesterday.
A 1980 batch foreign service official, Sarna also met Ami Bera, the only Indian-American in the current Congress, who is also co-chair of the powerful House India Caucus. Sarna presented his credentials to Peter Selfridge, chief of protocol, State Department on 9 November. He is expected to present his formal diplomatic credentials to outgoing US President Barack Obama later. Spokesman of the ministry of external affairs until 2008, Sarna has previously been India’s ambassador to Israel and the Indian High Commissioner to the UK.