Bangalore: Unfazed by mounting pressure, a combative Karnataka chief minister B. S. Yeddyurappa on Monday asserted he would continue in his post for the remainder of his term, ruling out his resignation in the wake of the Lokayukta report indicting him in the illegal mining scam.
“I am going to continue as chief minister for another two years,” Yeddyurappa, who appeared relaxed, told reporters in the company of BJP State unit president K. S. Eshwarappa shortly after the former’s arrival from Mauritius where he was on a holiday with his family.
Yeddyurappa’s comment came at a time when BJP central leadership said it would take “appropriate action” once the report is submitted to the government.
Earlier, several loyalist ministers met Yeddyurappa at the airport and accompanied him to his Race Course residence, where they were also joined by some MLAs.
“We are all together,” the chief minister, who completed three years in office in May, said.
He said former Prime Minister H. D. Deve Gowda and former chief minister H. D. Kumaraswamy are “very much worried” as their party JDS is “losing their vote-bank” by the day and fear that if the BJP government continued in office, “they will be no more” (a political force).
Yeddyurappa said the government would give explanation to each issue raised by the Lokayukta once Hegde submitted his report. “I have a lot of respect for the Lokayukta. But so far he has not given the report”.
The Lokayukta has said he would submit the report on Wednesday.
The findings of the Lokayukta that the mining scam has caused a loss of Rs1,800 crore to the state exchequer for 14 months from March 2009 has set off clamour for Yeddyurappa’s resignation by the opposition parties.
The leaked Lokayukta report has also indicted four ministers and several others, including former chief minister Kumaraswamy.