×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

2G scam | Cabinet & Raja be held responsible, says Behura

2G scam | Cabinet & Raja be held responsible, says Behura
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Wed, May 25 2011. 08 35 PM IST
Updated: Wed, May 25 2011. 08 35 PM IST
New Delhi: Putting the entire blame on the union cabinet and the then telecom minister A Raja for the multi-crore rupee 2G scam, former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura on Wednesday told a Delhi court that he cannot be held responsible for implementing the government policy.
Behura, one of the accused in 2G spectrum allocation scam, told the Special CBI court that it was Raja who “illegally” changed the policy which was not objected to by the cabinet and he continued to “retain the confidence of the Prime Minister and others”.
“The Prime Minister was in the picture, Ministry of Finance and Law Ministry were in the picture over the telecom policy and he was not a lone ranger,” senior advocate Aman Lekhi, appearing for Behura, said while pressing for bail.
“If others in the government or the cabinet are not held responsible, how can a civil servant be made an accused ? Raja continued in the cabinet, which shows he retained the confidence of the Prime Minister and others,” he argued.
He further said the loss accrued to the public exchequer was because of the wrong policy followed by the government during the tenure of A Raja.
“If there had been any disagreement, it should have been brought before the cabinet headed by the Prime Minister. If the Prime Minister, the finance minister and the law minister did not think it appropriate to deal with it at the cabinet, how can he, a civil servant, be liable for doing his duty”?
Behura’s counsel Aman Lekhi said.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Wed, May 25 2011. 08 35 PM IST