Terror | Confusion over case filing against Kasab

Terror | Confusion over case filing against Kasab
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Feb 12 2009. 01 58 AM IST
Updated: Thu, Feb 12 2009. 01 58 AM IST
Islamabad: Confusion prevailed over reports that Pakistani authorities on Wednesday filed a case against Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist in Indian custody and and 12 others in connection with of the Mumbai terrorist attacks in November.
The case was registered on the basis of the probe conducted by the Federal Investigation Agency and the decision made by the defence committee of the cabinet during its meeting on Monday, TV channels quoted unidentified officials as saying.
The case was registered under the Anti-Terrorism Act, Geo News channel reported. It quoted sources as saying that the case was registered at the Dockyard Police Station in Karachi.
Geo News also said that among the others named in the case were three persons who were arrested in Karachi. Nine more persons had been identified but were yet to be taken into custody, the channel reported.
However, later Dawn News channel reported quoting interior ministry chief Rahman Malik as denying that any case was filed by FIA against anyone in connection with the Mumbai attacks.
It quoted Malik as saying that Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said that the nation will be taken into confidence regarding any decision into the matter.
—PTI
*********
Bombers kill 26 in attack on Afghan govt offices
Bangalore: Seven suicide bombers killed 26 people and injured at least 65 in a coordinated attack on government buildings in the heart of Afghanistan’s capital.
Three bombers in the assault on Kabul on Wednesday targeted the directorate of prisons, while four attacked the justice ministry, interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary said in a telephone interview. Two attackers died when they detonated devices and the others were shot dead by security forces before they could explode their bombs, he said.
The guerrillas struck a few hundred yards from President Hamid Karzai’s offices.
The Taliban took responsibility for the attack, ‘AP’ reported.
The incident comes as Richard Holbrooke, President Barack Obama’s newly appointed envoy to the region, is expected imminently in Afghanistan from neighbouring Pakistan.
Obama has vowed to increase the US focus on the resurgent Taliban, including sending more troops and designating Holbrooke, who is helping the administration chart a new strategy to beat the insurgencies raging in both countries.
—Bloomberg and AP
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Feb 12 2009. 01 58 AM IST