Union minister Babul Supriyo attacked in Asansol
- Consumers to lose out if pvt channels go off DD Free Dish
- US Fed goes for 25bps rate hike in Jerome Powell’s 1st meeting as chair
- Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg to speak as Washington scrutiny reignites
- Cabinet allows ITI Ltd to issue 18 crore fresh equity shares to public
- Sun Pharma gets US FDA approval for plaque psoriasis drug ILUMYA
Kolkata: Union minister Babul Supriyo was on Wednesday caught in a skirmish between Trinamool Congress (TMC) and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers in Asansol town of West Bengal.
Tension started to build from Tuesday when Supriyo stopped a number of cattle traders and handed them over to the police for not being able to produce necessary documents, the MP said in television interviews.
The unrest on Wednesday started after a BJP worker was assaulted by TMC supporters. Supriyo said cattle traders were illegally dealing in livestock with the support of a local TMC leader. Things came to a head when Supriyo became the target of stone-pelting. He was rescued by the police.