Union minister Babul Supriyo attacked in Asansol
Babul Supriyo was caught in a skirmish between Trinamool Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party workers
Latest News »
- AAP changes tack: No direct attack on PM Modi, slams BJP instead
- Ivanka Trump must testify in shoe knockoff suit against company, says US court
- Hopes fade in China for 118 still missing day after landslide
- Western, southern states control over 60% of bank credit: RBI
- Narendra Modi must raise H-1B visa issue with Donald Trump: Indians in US
Kolkata: Union minister Babul Supriyo was on Wednesday caught in a skirmish between Trinamool Congress (TMC) and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers in Asansol town of West Bengal.
Tension started to build from Tuesday when Supriyo stopped a number of cattle traders and handed them over to the police for not being able to produce necessary documents, the MP said in television interviews.
The unrest on Wednesday started after a BJP worker was assaulted by TMC supporters. Supriyo said cattle traders were illegally dealing in livestock with the support of a local TMC leader. Things came to a head when Supriyo became the target of stone-pelting. He was rescued by the police.