New Delhi: Government on Thursday said it was screening around 50,000 passengers coming from swine flu-affected countries even as it assured that there was no suspected case of the disease in the country as of now.
“There is no suspected case of swine flu in the country so far,” joint secretary ministry of health, Vineet Chaudhary said.
The clarification came in the wake of reports that a Hyderabad resident had come back from Mexico with flu like symptoms.
“The patient is not showing any symptoms now. In fact he had reported to a nearby health centre for check up after he developed flu like symptoms after coming back from Mexico,” Chaudhary said.
Director, NICD, Shivlal said fresh samples have been taken from the Hyderabad resident and are being flown to Delhi and the results will be available in the next 24 to 48 hours.
The Centre has also decided to increase its Tamiflu stalk from one million to 10 million doses over the next seven days, he said, adding the stockpile would be decentralised all over the country so that any emergency situation can be dealt with quickly.
A total of 50,000 passengers who have come from countries affected by swine flu have been traced and checks would be carried out on them.
Chaudhary said 8 counters have been set up at the Delhi airport and each counter will be manned by one doctor and two nurses.