×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

ATS begins probe in Mumbai blasts; registers three cases

ATS begins probe in Mumbai blasts; registers three cases
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Jul 14 2011. 07 16 PM IST
Updated: Thu, Jul 14 2011. 07 16 PM IST
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) today registered three cases in connection with the serial bombings that left 18 people dead and 131 injured.
“ATS has taken over the probe. Close to 12 joint teams of ATS and Crime Branch have been formed and we are being closely assisted by Central agencies. This case is being taken up on priority,” ATS chief Rakesh Maria told reporters here.
Assuring people that no effort would be spared to bring the perpetrators of the latest terror strike to justice, he said, “We request the public to have faith and trust in the police. So far no (terror) case has gone undetected and the persons responsible for the blasts will be brought to book. We will get you the accused.”
The maximum casualty in the last evening’s terror attack was witnessed at Opera House where 10 people were killed. Seven persons died at the explosion at Zaveri Bazaar, the police officer said.
The third blast took place in Dadar.
“Samples have been taken from the blast sites. Forensic experts are sifting through the debris for more evidence. It is too early to say anything regarding the kind of explosives used,” he said, adding all angles will be probed.
The ATS chief requested people not to indulge in rumour mongering. “Even this morning there were rumours about six unexploded bombs being found in the city. We request people not to believe in such rumours and assist the administration in maintaining peace.
Maria said the ATS has taken over the investigations and the probe is not confined to any group.
CCTV footages from all the blast sites are being examined, he said, adding ATS has formed joint teams with the Crime Branch.
Bansal said there could be several reasons for the circuit to be found in the body of one of the victims raising suspicions whether the person could be a suicide bomber.
“One of the possibilities is that the person concerned might have been standing near the bomb and as a result some parts of the bomb imbibed it (body). There is another possibility that it could be planted in his body. But as of now we are not in a position to tell anything,” he said.
Asked whether the body has been identified, he said since some of the bodies were found beyond recognisation, Mumbai Police was trying to identify them.
To a query on who could be behind the blasts, Bansal said as of now the investigators were not in a position to tell with confidence which militant group was involved in it.
“As of now there is no lead about any particular group. That is why we are probing into all angles and all groups are under radar and everyone is considered as a suspect. A few Indian Mujahideen militants arrested some time ago are being interrogated,” he said.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Jul 14 2011. 07 16 PM IST