Karnataka considering capital punishment for child rapists
Bengaluru: Karnataka home minister Ramalinga Reddy on Wednesday said that the state government is considering legislation that will award capital punishment to sexual offenders of children below 12 years of age.
Speaking in the Karnataka legislative council, Reddy said that the government is studying the legislation passed by the Madhya Pradesh government in December.
“I have secured a copy of the (MP) legislation and we are considering implementing death penalty for child rapists here also,” Reddy said.
The statement comes at a time when there’s is a visible increase in sexual assault cases in places like Bengaluru.
- Tripura assembly elections: Voting underway amid tight security
- Narendra Modi to inaugurate fourth container terminal of JNPT tomorrow
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau begins week-long India visit
- PMO working on resolving PNB fraud, will try to extradite Nirav Modi: MoS finance
- Tibet’s most sacred Buddhist temple catches fire