Islamabad: The Pakistani government on Wednesday confirmed that the lone surviving Mumbai attacker, Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, who was captured by India was a Pakistani national.
“We have just been informed by the concerned authorities that Ajmal Kasab is a Pakistani national,” a foreign ministry spokesman said.
Pakistan had previously said that Kasab’s name was not on the record of the country’s national database of citizens and India had not provided concrete evidence.
Confirmation: Pakistan’s information minister Sherry Rehman. PID Pakistan
The confirmation came two days after India said it had provided new evidence about links between the Mumbai attackers and elements in Pakistan.
Pakistan’s information minister Sherry Rehman also confirmed Kasab’s Pakistani nationality.
“We are confirming Kasab is from Pakistan but investigations are ongoing,” she said in a text message.
India maintains that all 10 militants involved in the 26-29 November Mumbai carnage which left at least 183 dead, including nine of the gunmen, came from Pakistan.
Islamabad has angrily rejected allegations from Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that the attacks had the support of some “official agencies” in Pakistan and that Pakistan used terrorism as an “instrument of state policy.”
The Indian government had also blamed Pakistan-based banned militant outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) for the attacks and is demanding Islamabad dismantle terrorist infrastructure on its soil. Pakistan has rejected demands by New Delhi to hand over any of its nationals wanted by India on terrorism charges.