Donald Trump announces 15 Dec news conference to discuss leaving business
- Donald Trump pressures US senators to back Republican healthcare bill
- India to send 700 tonnes of relief material for Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- Sushma Swaraj slams Pakistan at UNGA, asks its leaders to introspect
- Mexico jittery after new earthquake of 6.1 magnitude
- Sushma Swaraj calls for early start of negotiations for UNSC reforms
Washington: President-elect Donald Trump said on Wednesday he will be leaving his far-flung business “in total” to focus on running the country and will outline the plan in a 15 December news conference with his family.
Under pressure to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest, Trump announced his plans in a series of tweets but did not explain exactly what he would be doing with his assets.
“I will be holding a major news conference in New York City with my children on 15 December to discuss the fact that I will be leaving my great business in total in order to fully focus on running the country in order to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!” Trump said.
Trump said he is not required by law to alter his relationship with his business, but added: “I feel it is visually important, as President, to in no way have a conflict of interest with my various businesses.”
“Hence, legal documents are being crafted which take me completely out of business operations. The Presidency is a far more important task!” he added. Reuters