Gujarat elections: Dalit leader Jignesh Mevani wins Vadgam seat
Ahmedabad: Dalit leader Jignesh Mevani on Monday won from Vadgam seat in Gujarat’s Banaskantha district, defeating BJP’s nominee Vijay Chakravarti by 19,696 votes.
Mevani, who contested as an independent candidate with support of the Congress, polled 95,497 votes on the seat reserved for a Schedule Caste nominee. Chakravarti got 75,801 votes.
After emerging as the winner, Mevani thanked all non- governmental organisations and political parties which had helped him in campaigning.
The face of the Dalit agitation in Gujarat, in a message posted earlier on social media, had claimed that he decided to jump into the poll battle after being “persuaded” by youths and numerous agitators.
Mevani, who has been critical of the ruling BJP in the state, shot to fame after seven Dalit youths were flogged allegedly by self-styled cow vigilantes at Una last year.
- Congress demands Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan should attend Kannur ‘peace meets’
- Uttar Pradesh should compete with Maharashtra to become first $1 trillion economy, says Narendra Modi
- BHEL bags Rs1,034 crore order from Hindustan Petroleum
- Donald Trump Jr. says missing out on India deals because of father’s self-imposed curbs
- Best keyboard apps with advanced swipe controls