Dera Sacha Sauda supports BJP in Delhi assembly election
- EPFO relaxes norms for pensioners to file life certificates
- Gujarat polls 2017: Reservation promise over 50% cap a big joke, says Nitin Patel
- UBI gets Sebi approval for Rs1,000 crore equity issue via QIP
- Gold, silver recover on renewed demand in Mumbai
- Gujarat elections 2017: 1,703 candidates file nominations for 1st phase
Chandigarh: Dera Sacha Sauda headed by Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh on Thursday extended its support to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Saturday’s Delhi assembly elections.
Ram Singh, chairman of the sect’s political affairs wing, told PTI that the Dera has decided to support BJP candidates in Delhi elections.
Asked if the support was also for Akali dal candidates, he replied in the affirmative. The Dera, which has a considerable following in the Delhi’s neighbouring states Harayana and Punjab, claims to have about 20 lakh followers in Delhi alone out of which 12 lakh are voters.
The sect had announced to support BJP candidates during Haryana assembly elections last year and the party stormed to power for the first time on its own. “Today’s announcement was made by the political wing of Dera, which has 15 members,” political wing (Delhi unit) vice president Amandeep Insan told PTI.
He claimed that the Dera has about 20 lakh followers in Delhi and they have been told to vote for BJP candidates in Saturday’s polls.
“Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh is impressed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s initiatives like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, drive against female foeticide and drugs in the country,” Amandeep told PTI.