×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

ED issues notice to Kalmadi under Fema

ED issues notice to Kalmadi under Fema
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Apr 21 2011. 11 40 PM IST
Updated: Thu, Apr 21 2011. 11 40 PM IST
New Delhi: The enforcement directorate (ED), the agency investigating money laundering and foreign exchange violations, has issued a notice to Suresh Kalmadi, former chairman of the Commonwealth Games (CWG) organizing committee (OC), under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (Fema).
Kalmadi has been asked to “furnish the details of his bank transactions, foreign exchange in his possession, details of travels abroad since February 2005, when he became the chairman of OC, by 30 April”, a senior ED official said on condition of anonymity. “He has been served a notice in connection with financial dealings in the Queen’s Baton Relay held in London in October 2009.”
Kalmadi could not be immediately reached for comment. A person close to him confirmed that he received the notice and that he will furnish the details sought.
The ED registered its first case under Fema after British authorities referred to the Indian high commission a matter regarding hiring of London-based transport firm AM Car and Vans at exorbitant prices, and to similar high payments to AM Films for installing video screens at the venue of the Queen’s Baton Relay.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is scheduled to question Kalmadi in the same case on Monday. A two-member CBI team visited London and, according to the ED official quoted above, has obtained “valuable information regarding irregularities in the Baton Relay contract. We are working closely with CBI on this case”.
A second official, directly involved with the investigation, said Kalmadi may be summoned by the second week of May to corroborate the directorate’s findings so far.
Several deals related to the 3-14 October Games held in Delhi are under the scanner of both agencies. Last year, the CBI, which has registered three cases against OC officials, asked the government to remove Kalmadi and OC secretary-general Lalit Bhanot, saying their presence in key positions was hindering the investigation.
Subsequently, sports minister Ajay Maken sacked Kalmadi and Lalit Bhanot, to facilitate an inquiry into corruption cases related to the Games.
appu.s@livemint.com
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Apr 21 2011. 11 40 PM IST
More Topics: ED | Notice | Suresh Kalmadi | CWG | CBI |