Will target any flying object in Syrian airspace under our watch: Russia
- Two months after merger of factions, rivalries hit AIADMK again
- Asia Cup final: India beat Malaysia to win third title
- Shinzo Abe sweeps to resounding victory in Japan election
- China fears envoy in Pakistan might be attacked; asks more security
- Financial stability will be maintained while initiating reforms: PM Modi
Moscow: Russia’s defence ministry said on Monday that it would view as targets any flying objects over Syria in the areas of the country where its air forces operate, Russian news agencies reported.
The statement came after a US warplane shot down a Syrian army jet on Sunday in the southern Raqqa countryside, with Washington saying the jet had dropped bombs near US-backed forces and Damascus saying the plane was downed while flying a mission against Islamic State militants.
The defence ministry also said that it was suspending its interaction with the US on preventing air incidents over Syria from 19 June, the agencies reported.
The US did not use its communication channel with Russia ahead of the downing of the Syrian government warplane, the ministry was quoted as saying. Reuters