CPM may penalise Rajya Sabha MP Ritabrata Banerjee over lifestyle
Kolkata: The West Bengal state committee of the Communist Party of India (Marxist), or CPI(M), on Tuesday recommended to the central committee the removal of Rajya Sabha MP Ritabrata Banerjee from the state panel following an internal probe into allegations about his lifestyle.
While acknowledging the student leader’s contribution to the party, Surjya Kanta Mishra, a politburo member and the state secretary of the CPM, on Tuesday said Banerjee will be “penalised in some manner”, but should not be expelled from the party.
Banerjee was suspended from 2 June, pending investigation into his alleged unbecoming lifestyle. The suspension will continue until the central committee decided on action to be taken against him.
Latest News »
- Barcelona Live: Van crashes into dozens of people several injured
- SpiceJet deposits Rs329 crore in share transfer dispute with Kalanithi Maran
- Govt extends deadline for filing GST returns for some businesses
- Love notes by BofA consultant were insider tips, US prosecutors say
- BSNL launches mobile wallet in partnership with MobiKwik