CPM may penalise Rajya Sabha MP Ritabrata Banerjee over lifestyle
Kolkata: The West Bengal state committee of the Communist Party of India (Marxist), or CPI(M), on Tuesday recommended to the central committee the removal of Rajya Sabha MP Ritabrata Banerjee from the state panel following an internal probe into allegations about his lifestyle.
While acknowledging the student leader’s contribution to the party, Surjya Kanta Mishra, a politburo member and the state secretary of the CPM, on Tuesday said Banerjee will be “penalised in some manner”, but should not be expelled from the party.
Banerjee was suspended from 2 June, pending investigation into his alleged unbecoming lifestyle. The suspension will continue until the central committee decided on action to be taken against him.
- Defection of MNS corporators to Shiv Sena shakes up Maharashtra’s politics
- SC cracker ban brought respite, but a lot needs to be done
- Can blockchain technology be an answer to India’s land governance woes?
- Can see bright Samvat 2074 ahead: Ramesh Damani
- Mutual funds trim metals, retail holdings, tank up on financial stocks in September