Amarnath attack mastermind Abu Ismail, aide killed in Kashmir
Srinagar: Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander Abu Ismail, the mastermind behind the 10 July attack on Amarnath yatra pilgrims, was among two terrorists killed in an encounter with security forces in Srinagar on Thursday, police said.
The identity of the second terrorist is being ascertained, a police official said.
The encounter took place at Aribagh in Nowgam area on the outskirts of Srinagar, the official said.
Director general of police (DGP) S.P. Vaid said police had specific intelligence input about the presence of foreign terrorists in the area and an operation was launched to neutralise them.
“We had information about the presence of two foreign terrorists, including Abu Ismail. Both have been neutralised and the bodies have been taken for identification,” he said.
Ismail was the mastermind of the 10 July attack on a bus carrying Amarnath yatra pilgrims in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district. The attack left eight pilgrims dead.
- Thanks to Apple, 50-year-old facial recognition goes mainstream
- Gold prices recover on renewed buying; silver surges
- Activists meet women’s commission to investigate rights violation of Hadiya
- Kerala looks to give three-year jail term and Rs2 lakh fine for polluters of rivers
- Reliance Capital to list home finance unit on 22 September