Amarnath attack mastermind Abu Ismail, aide killed in Kashmir
Srinagar: Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander Abu Ismail, the mastermind behind the 10 July attack on Amarnath yatra pilgrims, was among two terrorists killed in an encounter with security forces in Srinagar on Thursday, police said.
The identity of the second terrorist is being ascertained, a police official said.
The encounter took place at Aribagh in Nowgam area on the outskirts of Srinagar, the official said.
Director general of police (DGP) S.P. Vaid said police had specific intelligence input about the presence of foreign terrorists in the area and an operation was launched to neutralise them.
“We had information about the presence of two foreign terrorists, including Abu Ismail. Both have been neutralised and the bodies have been taken for identification,” he said.
Ismail was the mastermind of the 10 July attack on a bus carrying Amarnath yatra pilgrims in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district. The attack left eight pilgrims dead.
- PNB fraud: ICAI obtains statement from senior bank official
- Andhra Pradesh govt signs 77 MoUs worth Rs31,546 crore at Partnership Summit
- Kia Motors to roll out first car from Anantapur plant by 2019
- Govt revokes passports of Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi
- Warren Buffett warns investors that safe-looking bonds can be risky