Centre’s share in development prog for NE rises to 90%

Centre’s share in development prog for NE rises to 90%
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Sep 11 2008. 05 38 PM IST
Updated: Thu, Sep 11 2008. 05 38 PM IST
New Delhi: Providing relief to cash strapped north eastern states, Government decided to increase its own share in the funding for various flagship programmes from 75% to 90%.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) gave the approval to the increased funding pattern in its meeting held here.
Under the new pattern, the Centre would contribute 90% of the funds for the programmes, while north eastern states including Sikkim would come up with the remaining 10% of the funds.
The pattern has been changed for various schemes of the rural development ministry, namely Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY), Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana (SGSY) and District Rural Development Agency (DRDA) administration.
Rural Development ministry officials informed that north eastern states often failed to come up with even 25% of their share in the said schemes, due to their poor financial position and so their record in the implementation of the ministry’s programmes was unsatisfactory.
Official sources said that there had been repeated requests from the north eastern states for reducing their share.
Keeping their requests in mind, the ministry moved the proposal to the CCEA, which approved the alteration in the funding pattern.
At present only the ministry’s National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) follows the 90:10 funding pattern for North Eastern states.
However, the UPA government has adopted this pattern for its many schemes namely Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) and Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA).
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Thu, Sep 11 2008. 05 38 PM IST