US continues to face grave threat from terrorists: Bush

US continues to face grave threat from terrorists: Bush
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Fri, Jan 16 2009. 01 18 PM IST
Updated: Fri, Jan 16 2009. 01 18 PM IST
Washington: US President George W Bush has said America continues to face grave threat from terrorists, who are not only determined but are also patiently waiting to strike back.
“While our nation is safer than it was seven years ago, the gravest threat to our people remains another terrorist attack,” Bush said in his farewell address to the nation on Thursday.
The outgoing president would hand over the presidency to Barack Obama on 20 January .
“Our enemies are patient and determined to strike again,” he said in his nationally televised live speech in which he recollected the 9/11 attack and the decisions he took in its aftermath to protect the US from terrorists.
“America did nothing to seek or deserve this conflict. But we have been given solemn responsibilities, and we must meet them. We must resist complacency. We must keep our resolve. And we must never let down our guard,” he said.
Recollecting the immediate aftermath of the terrorist attack on US, the outgoing president said, “This evening, my thoughts return to the first night I addressed you from this house 11 September, 2001.”
This was the worst attack on America since Pearl Harbour as nearly 3,000 people died. “I remember standing in the rubble of the World Trade Center three days later, surrounded by rescuers who had been working around the clock,” he said.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Fri, Jan 16 2009. 01 18 PM IST