Beijing: China’s health ministry reported on Friday the first suspected case of swine flu involving a person infected with the virus inside the country.
The patient, a 24-year-old woman in the southern province of Guangdong, had been in close contact with a confirmed carrier of the A(H1N1) virus, the ministry said in a statement.
The woman works as a make-up artist at a photo studio in Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong, and came in touch with the confirmed case when he and his girlfriend had wedding photos taken on Monday and Tuesday, it said.
On Wednesday, she developed a headache and a fever, and after she was hospitalised, Guangzhou health officials said she was a suspected swine flu case.
The health ministry said the confirmed case was a 28-year-old Chinese-American man employed at a hospital in New York, who had flown to Guangzhou on Sunday.
The World Health Organization, in its most recent report, said 13,398 people in 48 countries had been infected with the A(H1N1) virus since it was first uncovered last month. There have been 95 deaths.