MCD election results: BJP candidates win 3 wards in SDMC
- Shameful your boss silencing you on Rafale: Rahul Gandhi to Nirmala Sitharaman
- Women in focus at global entrepreneurship summit this year
- National Herald: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi accuse Swamy of delaying case
- Farooq Abdullah asks Centre to look into condition of war widows
- Rafale jet purchase win-win partnership for both France and India: French minister
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) took an early lead in MCD polls by winning three wards for which results were announced. The party candidates won Janakpuri West and Janakpuri South, in South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) by defeating AAP candidates.
Narender Chawla won from Janakpuri West by a margin of 1347 votes, while Veena Sharma defeated her AAP rival by 5362 votes. The BJP also won Rajender Nagar ward in North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC).
Also Read: MCD election results 2017 Live Updates
The early victories combined with positive trends reflected BJP’s success in overcoming anti-incumbency despite ruling the three civic bodies including East Delhi Municipal Corporation(EDMC) for last 10 years.
The BJP was leading in all the three-North, South and East Delhi Municipal Corporations. While rivals Congress and AAP were left far behind.
The vote counting for 270 wards of three municipal corporations began at 35 centres across the city at 8am. Trends were available for 104 seats. Voting for 270 of the total 272 municipal wards was held on 23 April. Two wards where candidates died, voting was cancelled.