Bengaluru steel flyover blocked as NGT grants interim stay
- Kerala opposes plan to use 2011 Census data for funds allocation
- Artistic freedom
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala-backed John Energy to file for Rs300 crore IPO
- B.S. Yeddyurappa says Modi govt’s 3 .5-year rule will be BJP’s poll plank in Karnataka
- Pregnant women prefer supplementary food over health check-ups: report
Chennai: The southern bench of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) here on Friday restrained the Bengaluru Development Authority from proceeding with the steel flyover project for four weeks.
Granting an interim stay on the flyover proposal that kicked up controversies, the NGT directed BDA not to carry on with the project work for four weeks and posted the matter to 25 November for further hearing. The tribunal granted interim stay on petitions from Neelaiah, Citizen Action Forum and others.
The petitions opposed the project on environmental grounds. The Rs1,761 crore project of BDA is to construct a 6.72 km long, six-lane steel flyover between Basaveshwara Circle and Hebbal to decongest traffic.
However, the project faced opposition as it allegedly involved felling of over 800 trees. Farmers too had opposed the project. Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium too had reportedly said that ramps may block the view of the sky. As protests mounted against the project, Bengaluru development minister K J George had last week dismissed it as a “political gimmick” and it had taken the decision after consultations with experts and “due diligence”.
Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah had defended the proposed construction of steel flyover calling it “totally transparent” and claimed the project was proposed in 2010 and announced in 2014-15 budget.