Gujarat elections: Congress releases 3rd list of 76 candidates
New Delhi: The Congress on Sunday night released its third list of 76 candidates for the second phase of the Gujarat assembly elections, filing of nominations for which ends on Monday.
The party, which has been seeking to dislodge the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) from power in the western state, earlier announced the names of 86 candidates in two phases. The party, however, could not finalise the names of its candidates in 20 more seats.
Congress general secretary Oscar Fernandes released the third list to the media tonight. The list featured at least 11 candidates from Scheduled Tribes and three from Scheduled Caste communities.
The Congress has been out of power in the crucial state for over two decades. The polling for the two-phase elections in Gujarat, having total 182 seats, will take place on 9 and 14 December and votes will be counted on 18 December.
Eighty-nine seats of Saurashtra and South Gujarat region are going to polls in the first phase, while the remaining 93 seats in central and northern region would go for polls in the second phase.
- Ahead of Gujarat election results, BJP MP predicts dismal performance for party
- California’s wildfire now ranks as state’s third-largest
- As bitcoin, other currencies soar, regulators urge caution
- Metlife says it failed to pay some pensions, flags hit to reserves
- Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurates Eastern India’s first CNG stations