No toll charges on national highways till 14 November midnight
- Narendra Modi to inaugurate fourth container terminal of JNPT tomorrow
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau begins week-long India visit
- PMO working on resolving PNB fraud, will try to extradite Nirav Modi: MoS finance
- Tibet’s most sacred Buddhist temple catches fire
- PM Modi should explain why PNB scam happened: Rahul Gandhi
New Delhi: No toll would be charged on national highways till the midnight of 14 November, the government said on Friday, extending the relief to commuters in the wake of junking of Rs500 and Rs1,000 currency notes.
Earlier on 9 November, the government had announced suspension of toll collection on national highways till 11 November midnight. “To ensure smooth traffic movement across all National Highways, the toll suspension has been extended till 14 November midnight,” road, transport and highways minister Nitin Gadkari said on Friday.
Instructions have been issued to all concessionaires including build-operate-transfer (BOT), operate-maintain-transfer (OMT) operators and other fee collection agencies about the extension of toll suspension date. The government said that the decision has been taken in order to avoid difficulties that may be faced by commuters.
A day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced ban on Rs500 and Rs1,000 notes to tackle corruption and black money, the government had decided to accept such withdrawn notes at toll plazas till 11 November midnight but that led to chaos in the absence of adequate change, causing massive traffic jams. “We reviewed the situation and decided to suspend the collection of fees,” the minister has said.
When asked about the loss due to non-collection of toll fee, Gadkari has said the government will bear it.