EC gives nod for draft notification on Western Ghats
- Cape Town residents told water supply likely to be cut off
- Apollo-backed ADT raises $1.47 billion, pricing IPO below range
- Bengaluru’s Bellandur lake catches fire, causing worry among residents
- Shinzo Abe’s party wants Japan ready for video games in Olympics
- Trai’s IUC cut drives Reliance Industries’s Q3 profit growth
New Delhi: The Election Commission (EC) on Monday gave its permission to the Centre to issue a draft notification on the Western Ghats report by the panel headed by Planning Commission member K. Kasturirangan.
However, the EC said that the final notification could be issued only after the general election, which starts on 7 April. The counting of the votes is scheduled for 16 May.
The main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had opposed the decision of the environment ministry to come out with draft notification and had approached the EC.