Islamabad: Pakistan’s Supreme Court adjourned an appeal hearing on Monday to decide whether to rearrest the founder of a militant group said to have been behind the attacks on Mumbai last November.
Hafiz Saeed, who headed Lashkar-e-Taiba before moving to its charity front, was detained in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks after a UN Security Council resolution put him on a list of people and organizations supporting Al Qaeda.
The Lahore high court, to India’s frustration, freed Saeed in June due to a lack of evidence against him. Pakistan has appealed against Saeed’s release, but ministers have said India should furnish proper evidence against him.
Wanted: A file photo of Hafiz Saeed in Islamabad. Reuters
Peace talks between the nuclear armed rivals were suspended as tensions flared in the days after the Mumbai terror attacks, but last month they agreed to restart dialogue, without resuming the peace process.
India wants Pakistan to punish the culprits for the slaughter of at least 166 people in Mumbai in November.
India is also waiting for Pakistan to start in earnest the trial of five militants being held at Adiala jail in Rawalpindi for their alleged role in the Mumbai plot. Charges have still to read against the suspects, and the next hearing has been put off until 29 August.
On Saturday, India gave Pakistan a new dossier of evidence to investigate the Mumbai attacks and to prosecute Saeed.
Saeed’s lawyer, A.K. Dogar, said the court adjourned the hearing without fixing a new date because the government’s prosecutor was not prepared for the case.