At least one dies in earthquake near China Tajikistan border
Latest News »
- Treat us with respect: Pakistan Army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa to US
- Former CIA agent wants to buy Twitter to kick Donald Trump off
- Narendra Modi to visit Gujarat on 17 Sept to inaugurate Narmada Dam
- Congress says not to ally with NCP for Gujarat assembly polls
- Haryana, Punjab on high alert ahead of verdict in Dera chief Ram Rahim Singh case
Shanghai: An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.7 struck China’s northwestern border with Tajikistan killing at least 1 person, destroying houses and severing a railway line in the sparsely populated region, state news agency Xinhua reported on Saturday.
Rescue teams in the Xinjiang region have been sent to help isolated communities in Akto County, which sits on China’s mountainous border with Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.
Xinhua said the quake hit the area late on Friday evening, and its magnitude was measured by the China Earthquakes Networks Center.
The US Geological Survey had reported that a 6.7 magnitude quake, with a depth 75km (46.6 miles), struck the area at around 10.24pm (14.24 GMT) on Friday, but later downgraded the magnitude to 6.5.