×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

India, a potential market for Washington apples

India, a potential market for Washington apples
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Tue, Mar 18 2008. 05 38 PM IST
Updated: Tue, Mar 18 2008. 05 38 PM IST
PTI
Chennai: The Washington Apple Commission, a promotional arm of about 3,500 apple growers in the US, has shortlisted India, especially the south, as the potential market for Washington apples.
Washington Apple Commission (WAC) Project Manager Tod Fryhover told reporters here today that 1.6 million boxes of Washington apples were sold in India last season and the sale is expected to go up this season.
He said Chennai city alone accounted for consumption of 60% of the imported apples, particularly the Red Delicious variety.
Fryhover said 20% of the sales were through the organized retail sector and the remaining 80% through roadside vendors.
Besides India, the WAC had shortlisted China and Russia for promoting the sale of Washington apples. Nine varieties of Washington apples are being grown in more than 2,25,000 acres of orchards in Washington and the region harvests around 80-96 million boxes of apples.
Rebecca Baerveldt, WAC export marketing manager said the commission had chalked out various promotional programmes to make consumers aware about “delicious and nutritious” Washington apples.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Tue, Mar 18 2008. 05 38 PM IST