48 Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy, 12 mechanised boats seized
Rameswaram: The Sri Lankan Navy on Tuesday arrested 48 fishermen from Tamil Nadu after firing in the air, official sources said.
12 mechanised boats of the fishermen were also seized by the Sri Lankan Navy, Fisheries Assistant director Shivakumar told PTI in Chennai.
The fishermen, belonging to Pudukottai and Jagadapattinam districts, were taken to Kangesanthurai by the navy personnel, he said.
The navy men allegedly rammed their boats against the mechanised vessels and under its impact four fishermen fell into the sea and were rescued by the naval personnel immediately.
Later they fired a couple of shots in the air and asked the fishermen to surrender, which they did. The fishermen were later taken to Kangesanthurai.
- Venezuela gives Russia’s Rosneft gas field concessions
- RIL, HDFC Bank contribute over one-third of Sensex’s market cap gain in 2017
- Himachal, Gujarat election results tomorrow a test for Modi, Rahul
- Much ado about ‘bail-in’ and FRDI Bill
- Himachal, Gujarat election results may power Sensex, Nifty to record highs