UN chief condemns North Korea missile test, crisis talks next week
United Nations: UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres on Friday condemned North Korea’s latest missile test, and said talks on the crisis would be held on the sidelines of the General Assembly meeting next week.
Guterres called on the North Korean leadership “to cease further testing, comply with the relevant Security Council resolutions, and allow space to explore the resumption of sincere dialogue on denuclearization,” read a statement by his spokesman.
The UN leader “condemns the launch” and said he will be discussing the situation “with all concerned parties in the margins of the upcoming high level week of the United Nations General Assembly.”
North Korea fired a ballistic missile over Japan and into the Pacific on Friday, responding to new UN sanctions with what appeared to be its furthest-ever missile flight amid high tensions over its weapons program.
Seoul’s defence ministry said the missile probably travelled around 3,700km (2,300 miles) and reached a maximum altitude of 770km.
The launch, from near Pyongyang, came after the UN Security Council imposed an eighth set of sanctions on the isolated regime following its sixth nuclear test earlier this month.
The UN Security Council called an emergency meeting for later Friday.
- PNB fraud: ICAI obtains statement from senior bank official
- Andhra Pradesh govt signs 77 MoUs worth Rs31,546 crore at Partnership Summit
- Kia Motors to roll out first car from Anantapur plant by 2019
- Govt revokes passports of Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi
- Warren Buffett warns investors that safe-looking bonds can be risky