Intruder arrested on White House grounds, CNN reports
Latest News »
- Antrix-Devas deal: Court to take cognisance of chargesheet
- Defence firms eye billion-dollar chance for ‘made in India’
- DGCA notice period norms for pilots may hit airlines’ expansion plans: CAPA
- Wreckage of lost ship USS Indianapolis found after seven decades
- Tepid credit growth: RBI data missing non-bank, debt markets
Washington: An intruder carrying a backpack entered the White House grounds and was arrested by U.S. Secret Service agents at an entrance near the president’s residence, CNN reported on Saturday morning.
President Donald Trump, who was in the White House at the time, was not in any danger from the security breach, which occurred around midnight, the cable television network reported.
The White House could not be reached immediately to confirm the report.
In a statement read over CNN, the Secret Service said the suspect gained entrance to the grounds on the south side near a portico from which presidents often address the public. The entrance is near the president’s residence.
The backpack carried by the intruder was screened and searched, and no hazardous material was found, according the statement.
Security for reporters entering the White House appeared to be normal on Saturday morning. Reuters
Frank McGurty contributed to this story.