Mumbai: Three more men were sentenced to death on 18 July -- bringing to six -- the number condemned to hang for their involvement in the 1993 Mumbai serial bombings, India’s deadliest terror attack.
Justice Pramod Kode on Thursday handed death sentences to Asgar Mukadam, Shahnawaz Qureshi and Mohammed Ghansar -- all Muslims -- for planting several of the 13 bombs that ripped through Mumbai on March 12, 1993, killing 257 people.
More than 100 people were convicted of involvement in the plot, thought to be an act of revenge for the demolition of a 16th century mosque by Hindu nationalists in northern India in 1992. After the demolition, religious riots erupted, leaving more than 800 dead, most of them Muslims.
Kode has so far sentenced 84 people. On Wednesday the first three death sentences were handed out.
Fourteen men were given life sentences for their involvement and knowledge of the conspiracy, while 64 others received sentences from three to 10 years in prison.
Those convicted include gangsters, smugglers, fishermen, customs officers, police officials, homemakers and a famous Bollywood actor.
Many, including the alleged ring leaders, were convicted in absentia and 35 suspects remain at large. Authorities say several are hiding in Pakistan, a charge Islamabad denies.
Mukadam was convicted of packing explosives into a car and parking it at the Plaza cinema in a bustling central Mumbai neighborhood where it exploded, killing 10 people and injuring 37. Qureshi helped Mukadam plant the car bomb.
Mukadam was also responsible for collecting and distributing money to people involved in the blast conspiracy, Kode said.
Ghansar parked a car-laden with the deadly RDX explosive near a busy crossroad killing 17 and injuring 57 people.
“Ghansar later went to a mosque nearby and prayed for forgiveness for what he had done so he was well aware he had committed a crime,” said Kode.