J&K legislative council polls: EC to hold elections to 6 seats on 17 April
- US won’t resume security aid to Pakistan till it allays concerns on terror safe havens
- China will not cede single inch of land, ready for ‘bloody battle’: Xi Jinping
- 2G spectrum case: CBI moves Delhi HC against acquittal of A. Raja, Kanimozhi
- Faced with Delhi’s pollution, Modi government bought air purifiers
- Railways in talks with youth who protested for jobs: Devendra Fadnavis
Jammu: The Election Commission will hold polls to 6 seats of Jammu and Kashmir legislative council on 17 April.
The polls to 6 MLC seats will be held on 17 April, chief electoral officer Shantmanu said on Friday, while holding a meeting with the officers of legislative assembly secretariat in Jammu to discuss the arrangements to be put in place for the smooth conduct of biennial elections to elect the members of Jammu & Kashmir Legislative Council (MLCs).
The elections for 6 seats of the upper house will be held on 17 April. The voting hours have been fixed from 9:00am to 4:00pm. The counting will be held on the same day. The formal notification in this regard would be issued on 22 March, he said.
As many as 87 elected and 2 nominated members of legislative assembly (MLA) will take part in polling through open ballot.
Secretary, J&K Jammu & Kashmir legislative assembly will be returning officer, while as deputy secretary Jammu & Kashmir legislative assembly will be assistant returning officer for the conduct of elections.
Pertinent to mention that the 6 seats of legislative council shall fall vacant on 19 April due to retirement of Jehangir Hussain Mir, Jugal Kishore, Dr Bashir Ahmad Shah Veeri, Master Noor Hussain, S Dharambir Singh Oberoi (deceased) and Yasir Reshi.