J&K legislative council polls: EC to hold elections to 6 seats on 17 April
- Defection of MNS corporators to Shiv Sena shakes up Maharashtra’s politics
- SC cracker ban brought respite, but a lot needs to be done
- Can blockchain technology be an answer to India’s land governance woes?
- Can see bright Samvat 2074 ahead: Ramesh Damani
- Mutual funds trim metals, retail holdings, tank up on financial stocks in September
Jammu: The Election Commission will hold polls to 6 seats of Jammu and Kashmir legislative council on 17 April.
The polls to 6 MLC seats will be held on 17 April, chief electoral officer Shantmanu said on Friday, while holding a meeting with the officers of legislative assembly secretariat in Jammu to discuss the arrangements to be put in place for the smooth conduct of biennial elections to elect the members of Jammu & Kashmir Legislative Council (MLCs).
The elections for 6 seats of the upper house will be held on 17 April. The voting hours have been fixed from 9:00am to 4:00pm. The counting will be held on the same day. The formal notification in this regard would be issued on 22 March, he said.
As many as 87 elected and 2 nominated members of legislative assembly (MLA) will take part in polling through open ballot.
Secretary, J&K Jammu & Kashmir legislative assembly will be returning officer, while as deputy secretary Jammu & Kashmir legislative assembly will be assistant returning officer for the conduct of elections.
Pertinent to mention that the 6 seats of legislative council shall fall vacant on 19 April due to retirement of Jehangir Hussain Mir, Jugal Kishore, Dr Bashir Ahmad Shah Veeri, Master Noor Hussain, S Dharambir Singh Oberoi (deceased) and Yasir Reshi.